Nate's finalization Nov. 2009

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

BUDDY WALK 2007!!

I failed miserably in my quest to blog every day in Oct. Sorry to all my loyal fans. You knew I wouldn't make it, didn't you? I'm too much of a procrastinator. Anyway, about our Buddy walk... I really wanted to go to the Buddy Walk this year, but wasn't sure I could do it, emotionally. Last year we definitely could not make it. Emotions were still way too raw after losing precious Jacob. But I LOVE the founder of Sharing Down Syndrome, Arizona! http://www.sharingds.org/ Gina Johnson is such a kind, generous, totally wacky (in a good way) Lady, and she works so hard on the Buddy Walk that we really wanted to support her. Plus, she sent us a very generous donation for our adoption fund. So, while I was a little nervous that I would break down and cry, we all went to the Buddy Walk. I invited my friend Carrie and her family as well. I am so glad we went. it was great. It was nice to be among "my people" :o)
We had 2 signs- one with Jacob's picture that said "in memory of sweet Jacob" and another with a picture of Aunika that said "In anticipation of beautiful Aunika". I am always hesitant to share with other parents of children with DS that our sweet boy passed away. I don't think any of us really like to face the mortality of our children. That is why I have stayed away from our DS group for a while. But waiting for our little Aunika has strengthened me once more. I call her the happy ending to Jacob's story. Though I don't really think she'll be the end! Jacob has started something in this family, and we will bring as many sweet children with DS into our home as we feel we can handle. I am so blessed to have such a great husband who is on the same page as me. We both feel strongly driven to adopt special needs kids. It is nice to have him by my side. He is priceless!
I don't think I've ever blogged about Carrie. I am not a person that makes girlfriends easily. I never have been. I was always such a tomboy. But Carrie and I click. I met her not long after we moved here. She was a foster mom, and when I told her my husband and I were thinking of becoming foster parents, that is all it took. She gently pushed and prodded and poked until we finally had our license. And look where we are now! All of our little blessings (our munchkins) have come because of this. Our licensing worker came to visit us before we had any placements to ask us about the kind of children we wanted in our home. We weren't picky! but we did share with her our deep love for children with Down Syndrome. About 3 days later, we got our first placements. Little Terry and Abe as they were known at the time. Two beautiful boys now called Landon and Luke that will be ours forever! 11 days after we got the boys, my licensing worker (Kelli) called me with news that would change our lives forever! There was a sweet boy with Down Syndrome that needed a permanent home. We met our Jacob on the day he turned one month old, and the rest is history! After losing Jacob, we missed his sweet spirit in our home, which led us to research DS adoptions, leading us to Aunika. So all this, because my lovely friend Carrie wouldn't let us give up or put off our dream of fostering/ adopting. She is one of my heroes, and will be a life long friend. She and her husband have fostered many, and were finally able to adopt the sibling set of 4 you see in the picture. They are 6, 5, 4, and 3. The baby is 7 months old (not a bio sibling) and hopefully he will be joining their family forever also. What a lucky girl I am to have such a wonderful friend. Really she is more of a sister. We tell people we are sisters all the time. I love this Woman!

1 comment:

liesel said...

Aunika. What a beautiful name. I loved your signs "In memory of", and "In anticipation of" :)

Luke the Belly Popper

Spread the Word to End the Word